AtmoSwing can be used for different purposes:
- in operational forecasting (the Forecaster),
- to downscale climate data (the Downscaler),
- to identify predictors for a certain predictand (the Optimizer).
For any use of AtmoSwing some data need to be prepared, and the method(s) must be calibrated. The following steps are usually required:
- Get a dataset for the predictor archive. It is often a reanalysis dataset. The impact of the choice of the dataset is discussed in [Horton2018].
- Get a dataset for the target situation (NWP output for operational forecasting or GCM/RCM outputs for climate downscaling)
- Format the predictand data.
- Calibrate/optimize the method using the Optimizer.
|[Horton2018]||Horton, P., & Brönnimann, S. (2018). Impact of global atmospheric reanalyses on statistical precipitation downscaling. Climate Dynamics. http://doi.org/10.1007/s00382-018-4442-6|